Friday, October 19, 2012

I think the plan has changed.

Ironman Canada has been front and centre in the triathlon community lately.  First it was the Challenge Company coming in and the Penticton race changing hands.  Then there was the suspense about where Ironman Canada would end up.  The announcement: Whistler.  And, on the exact same day as Challenge Penticton.  

Way to split the triathlon community!  Two iron distance races, in the same province, on the same day...

Now, while I observed all of this with interest, it was a somewhat detached interest.  Because I didn't think it really affected me personally.  My plan has been to do Ironman Couer d'Alene for quite some time.  2014.  That's the plan.  I'm sticking to the plan.

I've had a number of people warn me about the challenge of doing a June Ironman.  I'd be doing some awfully long trainer rides, and that can be pretty mind numbing.  It doesn't leave much room in our climate for open water swims before the race, or a tune up race either.

But, I've maintained that I want to be able to train while the kids are in school, and then I want to have at least part of the summer without the pressure of a heavy training schedule.  My first year doing triathlons, my big race was in September, and I hated the conflict I constantly felt between spending time with family and getting my training in.  This past summer, my big race was at the end of July, and I was completely happy with that.  I utilized some daycamps for the summer training before the race, and had some commitment free time after.

The close races have always been Canada at the end of August and Couer d'Alene at the end of June.  So, I was decided.  Ironman Couer d'Alene, 2014.

Until now.

Now, it's been announced that, after the first year, Ironman Canada will be at the end of July.  A bit later the Couer d'Alene, meaning more good bike weather in the lead up, more open water swim time, time for a tune up race.  A bit earlier then Challenge Penticton and the old Ironman Canada, meaning I'd still have a month left of summer after the race.

I'm pretty sure that I've just changed my mind.  Ironman Canada, 2014.  That's the plan.


  1. Sounds like a good possible decision! It is true that with CDA you'd run the risk of lots of trainer rides. I thought I might to an IM next year...or in 2014....but I think I'm going to give them a bit of a break. Too many other things to do!

  2. oooh! Me too! I think. We will see. If I get in to NYC marathon this year, IMC will be 2014 (the July date made my decision between this and Challenge for the same reasons you listed). If I don't get into NYC this year, I have guaranteed entry for 2014, so then I would defer ironman for another year. Assuming I rehab from my knee injury of course.