Monday, June 4, 2012

And the swim groove is back!

So, a couple weeks ago, I posted about how much my swimming was sucking because of all the muscle cramps I was getting.  I'm thrilled to report that things are much improved!

After seeing my doctor, she recommended a magnesium/calcium supplement.  It made a difference almost immediately.  I'm still getting the occasional foot cramp, but nothing compared to what was going on.  No more swim workouts cut short.  Swim confidence is no longer getting sucked down the drain.  No more constantly sore muscles from cramping.

Tonight, I had a solid swim.  While dealing with the cramping, it seemed like I'd lost all feel for the water, but it's come back phenomenally quickly and it almost feels like I've got a bit extra in the deal.  I was almost keeping pace with another triathlete that I admire and used to think of as a super fast swimmer.  I find it almost bizarre to realize that we actually make good lane mates now.

I also swam 100 metres under 2 minutes for the first time in at least a month.  Not only did I do it, but I did it at the end of the workout, when I was already tired.  :)

I'm back baby!

I'll bring my blog back to active status too!  We've been having some computer/laptop issues that have made blogging a challenge, but I have lots to catch up, including my kids race (that post is half written even), run with Sophia and Keith, bike stuff, run stuff, etc.

7 comments:

  1. That is awesome!!! So glad to hear about the improvements. I should give that supplement a try!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have issues with cramping alot...especially during the swim and I've heard about magnesium before. Glad to hear how well it's worked for you, maybe i really shoud give it a try as well.

    Glad to hear you felt back to normal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea for taking care of the cramping!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news!!! Now you're back in action!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic! Great to hear that you've found some answers. I get foot cramps a lot when I swim - they suck. Might try that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome your swimming is back and your cramping is better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My midwife recommended taking calcium/magnsium when I was getting bad leg and foot cramps when pregnant- they stopped almost right away!!

    ReplyDelete