Thursday, June 10, 2010

Blah

I'm feeling kind of sorry for myself right now. Ever since my hike on Sunday, I haven't been able to do anything. The muscle soreness is gone; I have plenty of energy.

But my knee is messed up.

It is getting gradually better, but I still can't go up or down stairs without pain. I can't walk at anything faster then a 90 year old's pace without pain. Yesterday, I had to try to catch my daughter at playgroup as she ran away from me down a hallway. I couldn't keep up. She isn't even two years old yet.

So, no running this week. No biking. Just sitting around, being a sloth.

I'm frustrated. I'm mad at myself, because if I had just chosen a shorter hike, I wouldn't be in this situation right now. If I had just respected the fact that my knee was sore before I started said hike, I wouldn't be in this situation right now. I'm just so bloody stubborn and determined to prove that I can do these things.

So now, I'm sitting on my butt rather then doing anything. Because I have no intention of messing my knee up more and putting myself in this situation for longer. I just hope that, by Saturday, I'm good to go for swimming. Then, I'm hoping that this next lesson will help me feel confident enough to swim laps on my own next week. At least I could do something then.

I just hate these setbacks. I hate it when I'm all pumped up to do something and I get these stupid roadblocks in my way.

3 comments:

  1. Oh no! That's too bad that your knee is giving you such a hard time. An idea to get a little exercise in would be to look up what kind of exercises they do with people in wheel chairs (I'm thinking of the old folks at nursing homes). Might not be much, but it would at least be some movement. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could look at as a challenge and learning experience. Allowing yourself time to heal and learning how to get started again is, probably, why all of us who struggle with our weight gain it back. Eat a bit less. Stretch and learn. Most of all hang in there and be ready to get back to it mentally when you are ready physically.
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you do some gentle yoga? Maybe some stretching? I definitely understand the frustration of feeling that something is in your way, but try not to get too discouraged. Saturday's swim class is going to be great!

    ReplyDelete