Sunday, April 15, 2012

Be careful what you ask for...

Just this week, I was talking to one of the lifeguards at our pool about the fact that it is a bit warm.  They keep it at 82F.  After the conversation, I looked online and found that 82 is common for a multi-use facility, but lane pools are often kept a bit cooler.

Last night, I went for my swim and as soon as my toes touched the water, I knew it was colder then usual.  That's alright, I figured, it's usually too warm anyways.  Once I get going, it will be fine.  It was unusually difficult to duck my head under the water to start swimming, but I did it and I started.

100 metres into my warmup, I still wasn't getting warmer.  I stopped for a minute and talked to a lifeguard.  The heating system was malfunctioning.  The temperature was currently at 78F.  Quite a bit cooler then usual.  The temperature of the water didn't encourage extended conversations, so I ducked back down and resumed swimming.  My plan called for a long set of 1800 after I finished my warmup, and I was just as happy not to be taking breaks along the way.

I never did warm up.  But hey, I did Banff (one of the triathlons known around here for really cold water).  I'm doing it again, as well as two other triathlons that have cold water.  Really, the temperature of the pool was still balmy compared to the lakes I'll be swimming in this summer.

It would have been perfect halfway between there and the regular temperature, at around 80.  An important lesson here though:

Be careful what you ask for.  You might just get it.

8 comments:

  1. My wife and I always argue about pool temperature. She says 84, I say 78. We compromise on 84. :0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brrr. I hate that not being able to warm up feeling. 80 sounds about right to me too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always think the City pools are too warm. They have to accommodate the adults with failing metabolisms that kind of float on the currents.

    Talisman used to be colder, I'm sure of it. Now it's nice, could be a degree colder.

    Swam in Quarry "lake" for the Canmore Oly one year when the air was 2C, and everybody was dying to get into the water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing how a few degrees can make such a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing how the slightest variation in temperature makes a difference in how you feel in the water! I'm finding that as I'm working harder in the pool, they are all starting to feel too warm to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got nothing to add...pretty much agree with you that a pool at least needs to be well into the 70's to be completely comfortable.

    However, I do want to point out that "Banff" is one of my favorite proper nouns out there...

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL - it's so true. Most people don't ask....they bitch, whine and complain about things but never try to do anything about it - so I agree, you most likely WILL get it if you ask.

    and that would be my preferred swimming temp - 78

    ReplyDelete