Thursday, March 21, 2013

An unreasonable fear I have no intention of confronting...

There's a new race coming to town.  It's a pretty cool anytime a race comes to my town, as most races are held in Calgary, the nearby city.

This one is generating a lot of excitement.  I'm seeing friends post about it on facebook.  One person, that told me she finds running boring, is doing it.  I think it's awesome when something coming into the community inspires that many people to be active and have fun.

So, what is it?

It's the zombie survivor race.

Image Source

I will not be doing it.

I could say it's because it happens a week before my second half Ironman.  I don't have to ask my coach to know she would not think an obstacle type race is a bad idea so close to a Half Ironman.  Even though that's true, that's not the main reason why I'm not doing this race.

It's because zombies freak me out.  Really freak me out.

Generally speaking, I'm all about confronting my fears.  Getting out of your comfort zone is what makes you grow.  But sometimes... um, not so much.

I have never done well with horror movies.  When I was a kid (maybe 8 or 9?), I watched one at a friend's house that had nasty things coming out of the closet.  I don't even remember the details of the movie, just that I was terrified of leaving my closet even cracked open for months afterwards.  I couldn't even tell my parents, because I wasn't allowed to watch horror movies, and I thought I'd be in trouble.

There is one particular genre of horror movies that I find particularly bothersome.

Zombies.

When my husband and I were first dating, I tried to watch a zombie movie with him.  I just couldn't handle it.  It made me feel physically ill.

No Zombie Survivor race for me.

You should do it though.  It looks pretty cool.

Me?  Well, I'm afraid they'd keep following me.  I don't want to do a triathlon the next weekend with fears of the undead pulling me underwater, knocking me off my bike, or dragging me into the bushes...

3 comments:

  1. I feel the EXACT same way! Zombies freak me out and I think that race is going to be a shitshow of inexperienced and untrained runners anyway. A local radio station is the sponsor and they advertise it every 5 minutes it seems. You couldn't pay me enough to RUN with zombies, let alone dress up as one!

    Where do you live? I'm in Langdon so it seems we both have to travel for races!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been dying for one of these races to come somewhere near me. I almost drive to St Louis last year for one (almost 4 hours away), but I couldn't get anyone else to join me :(

    I'm jealous you have one so close!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so over zombies. And vampires. And werewolves. And elves or the fae or anything else of that ilk. It seems like that's all that anyone knows how to write now.
    Saying that I liked the True Blood books, and some parts of the TV series. Parts named Pam, and Jessica.
    But people talk about zombies as if they're real. There are people that talk seriously about preparing for the zombie apocalypse. I edge away slowly, and they get put down on my nutter list.
    So my practical advice to you is that there are more than enough real things to be freaked out about, if you only knew.
    I will not be running that race.

    ReplyDelete