Thursday, February 17, 2011

Motivation - is it really the key?

First off, I've been rather MIA lately. I'm not feeling well. I have a cold that just won't die. It started about 2 weeks ago. It was mild and not too intrusive until early this week when it got worse. Originally, it was a head cold that was making me sniffly and a bit tired. Now, it is a chest cold that is making me wheezy and reminding me that I'm asthmatic. It also doesn't help that both of my children have had the cold as well. They've never been the best sleepers, but we had reached a point where they slept through the night more often then not. That doesn't happen when they're sick.

Along with this, I've developed a general malaise. I'm just not feeling motivated. I'm tired all the time. I don't feel like training. I don't feel like putting effort into my food. I just feel blah. Today is probably the worst yet. If I don't do anything this evening, it will be the third straight day I haven't done any training. I honestly can't think of the last time I've gone three straight days without a single workout.

"If it's in your head, go ahead; if it's in your chest, take a rest." That's the guideline I've often heard quoted when it comes to exercise while sick. It is in my chest right now, so there's no doubt I need to take it easy. But, I don't need to let it take over.

In feeling like I'm lacking motivation, it has me considering what motivation actually is. It's a reason for following through on an action. But, it's more then that. There has to be some actual emotion attached to it. Most people can look at their lives and name lots of things that are their "motivation" for living healthier. It doesn't always make it easy to follow through on your choices.

And that's what it comes down to. It's a choice. Sometimes the motivation is not there. It just isn't. Those are the times when you have to make the difficult choice to proceed regardless. Motivation comes and goes. There are times when you feel completely driven and there are times you feel blah. You can continue to make the right choice throughout.

So right now, the motivation is lacking. Right now, I'm going to have to substitute good choices for motivation. The motivation will come back, and I'll be ready for it when it does.

5 comments:

  1. I am always unmotivated. That is why I need a plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, I'm sorry you haven't been feeling well :( That sucks :( And it's so hard when your kids are sick too!

    I've been feeling unmotivated lately too. Part of it is that we're sick, but I can't help feeling that a lot of it is lack of scheduled "recovery" weeks. The more I read about it, the more I think it can be crucial to staying engaged in training for the long haul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bummer that your feeling bad!

    Motivation...oh yea I'm with you this week. It's Thursday and this is my 2nd "rest" day. :) Not in a row but 2 days no exercise, and much binge eating...not good must change.

    We will get it back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy, Deb, can I ever relate!! I've been sick off and on since the early part of January! Things are looking up for me, so just practice patience with yourself and the motivation will return. I promise!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no!! Hope the sickness in your house goes away quickly!

    The way that I look at it, when you are sick even if you workout they probably won't be quality workouts. So rather than kill yourself trying to get them done, just rest and give your body what it needs- time to get better.
    You aren't motivated because you feel like cr@p!
    Once you feel more like yourself you will get back on the wagon- you have a bunch of races to train for!

    ReplyDelete