Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Turning a Corner

Last week was a truly difficult week for me.  I felt like I was trapped in a hole and couldn't get out.

Then the weekend came.  I had a really wonderful Mother's Day, which included a trip out to the mountains.  I got some swimming in, some water running.  And, as this week carries on, I've got some perspective.

I've been wearing this aircast for a week and a half now.  I'm at least a quarter, and possibly as much as a third through the time I'm stuck in this.

Even though I was devastated to hear this was a stress fracture, in many ways, it's not that bad of news. The fracture part means forced rest.  No weight bearing.  Period.  But, if I'm smart, the bone should be able to heal 100%.  If it was a soft tissue injury, I likely would have tried to keep pushing it, and return to training without it fully healed.  It's entirely possible it could have dragged out for even longer.

Sure, I'm concerned about this reoccurring, and I am going to try to address some of the possible causes, but I've got some of my optimism back.  I'm getting through this.


I chuckled when I saw this posted on facebook today.  It's practically one of the mantras I live by, and right now, it's not true.

Three years ago, when I made the decision to do a triathlon, it was as part of a resolution to stop avoiding failure.  I felt like I never gave anything my all because I was so afraid I couldn't succeed.  I've always believed that my mind was my biggest obstacle.

I was able to push my body beyond it's limit.  I ran when I shouldn't have.  That race was so important to me.  Feeling good about how I finished this race, that I'd practically quit on two years ago, was a huge success for me.  So important that I pushed my body as far as it could go, and beyond.

I'm tough.  I proved that.  I'll get through this, and prove it again.  Right now though, I don't need to prove I'm tough.  I need to prove I'm smart.  That is going to be even harder.

I'm up for the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment