Monday, November 21, 2011

Just a cold?

So, as I mentioned last week, I've been knocked down with a cold.  While I'll take time off for a flu (pretty much have to), I've trained through plenty of colds.  I have kids after all, also known as "plague carriers".  Now, this cold, I didn't need to train through.  Not only did it hit me when I didn't have a race coming up, but it hit me during a post race week, where I only do the training I feel like.  Same as my last post race week, I'd expected to do more, but took extra rest days to feel better.

I ended up taking three rest days in a row.  It's not all good though.  By the end of those rest days, I was getting impatient with my kids and surly with my husband.  Was I just a mean person before I started this?

Then, on Saturday, I ran.  I only did 8 km (5mi), in about 50 minutes.  Now, I say "only" because lately that is a short run for me.  With half marathon training, that's basically the shortest run I've done in a long time.  It wiped me out.  Seriously.  I was so tired afterwards.  I'd been planning on swimming that evening, but that idea got bagged.

Then, on Sunday, I got that swim in.  Although, I was planning on spinning or running as well.  Not a chance!  I only swam for 50 minutes.  (Usually swims are an hour, mostly because of time constraints and lane swim times.)  I was so tired.  Exhausted.

So, either I have lost all of my fitness in the last week, or this cold is still sapping me.  What the heck?  Admittedly, I'm still coughing and sniffling, but it isn't as bad as it was last week.  If I'm honest though, my son got hit harder then usual with this cold (and he gets hit hard anyways).  Plus it hung on for a while.

Ugh.  Not liking this.

Do you take any time off training for colds or do you train through them?

Yesterday's HBBC points: 7 (50 minute swim, 20 minute core/stretching + f/v point)
Week to date points: 13

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like the cold still has you in it's clutches. Take it easy- you don't want to relapse- for sanity sake!!

    I am the same way- if I don't get my workouts in I turn into such a grump! Even though I am not training for anything I feel awful for missing 3 days of workouts! Those endorphins are addicting- in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you've still got it. Best to recover first and then get back to the workouts. If I'm still recovering I totally ignore my normal times and routines, and settle for doing shorter, lighter workouts, mainly just to keep the body from forgetting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what to do: take the time to recover, load yourself up with nutrition and make sure you get enough sleep. You'll bounce back so much more quickly if you listen to what your body needs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know what to do: take the time to recover, load yourself up with nutrition and make sure you get enough sleep. You'll bounce back so much more quickly if you listen to what your body needs!

    ReplyDelete