Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Cut the Drama

Today I was struck by a giant chocolate craving. One of those ones where I felt like I just needed chocolate and I needed it now. I scoured the cupboards and looked through the fridge, trying to find something that would give me a fix. Just when I was about to give up, I found it. A bag of smarties that I had bought to decorate a gingerbread train at Christmas and never opened.

I opened it.

I ate them.

Okay, not all of them, but we're not talking a single serving sized box either. We're talking a bag that has many many servings in it. I'm going to estimate that I had 6 servings, at 140 calories each serving. For a total of 840 calories.

Yikes.

This is one of those make 0r break it kind of moments. This is the type of moment where, in the past, I would have started to feel like I had totally blown it. And if I'd blown it, I may as well make it worth it to blow it. I may as well bake up some cookies or hit a drive thru. No point in working out tonight. I've blown it anyways, right? Yikes. I'm going to be up at my weigh in. I don't want to go if my weight is going to be up. Maybe I'll just skip it. Just for this week. I'll go again next week, if I do better then...

A few months ago I read an article and there was one phrase from that article that resonated with me.

Cut the Drama.

Seriously. Cut the drama. Everybody has the occasional slip up in their life. Perhaps they're like me and it's with food. Perhaps they're trying to change something else about their life. And when you have one of these slip ups, what you have to do is keep it in perspective. Yes. I had 800 plus calories of nothing. No nutrition, no vitamins, just calories and fat.

So what? It may set me back from the day I make my goal by a couple days. It has made me feel crappy and my stomach already isn't liking the feeling. But right now I have a choice. I can choose to let it get to me and be all dramatic about it, or I can choose to move on. I can still get a good work out in this evening and be aware of what I eat.

That is what I am going to choose. I still had dinner, but I kept it light. A salad with a boiled egg on top for protein. I'm going to work out when I'm done typing this post. Perhaps a bit longer then usual, but I won't overdo it.

Next time I need to have something chocolate, I'll make myself a cup of hot chocolate or I'll go for a walk and see if I still need it.

But one thing I will do is, I'll cut the drama. And that's big for me. After all, I have a university degree in Drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment