Sunday, January 17, 2010

Turkey apple burgers

I love food, so for me to change my habits, I've discovered that I still need to embrace that part of me, but with a different approach. One way for me to do this is to keep trying new things in the kitchen. This week, one of those new things was Turkey apple burgers.

Ingredients:

1 lb Ground turkey
1 cup Rolled oats
half an Onion
1 Apple (I used granny smith, whatever you have around will work).
1 Egg
Spices (I was lazy and used some Mrs Dash. Some garlic, parsley and basil would work nicely).

Directions:

1. Throw everything together in a bowl.
2. Mix it up. You'll probably have to get your hands in there to do it. I've heard that stand mixers can do this type of job, but alas, I don't have a stand mixer... yet.
3. Form it into patties. I do some slightly bigger and some smaller, since my kids may or may not eat them. About 8 patties is a good amount and easy to divide, since you just split it in half over and over again.

4. Throw it on the grill. I have a double sided indoor grill - my most used small appliance. If you don't have one, you could also do these in a frying pan, a broiler pan in the oven or on the barbeque.
5. Put it on a whole grain bun with your choice of toppings and a side of veggies or a salad.
6. Eat!

Nutritional info (one patty): 91 calories, 1.9 grams of fat, 1.1 grams fibre, 6.7 grams of carbohydrate, 11.7 grams of protein.

Make sure you count whatever you eat it with. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment