I love food, so for me to change my habits, I've discovered that I still need to embrace that part of me, but with a different approach. One way for me to do this is to keep trying new things in the kitchen. This week, one of those new things was Turkey apple burgers.
1 lb Ground turkey
1 cup Rolled oats
half an Onion
1 Apple (I used granny smith, whatever you have around will work).
Spices (I was lazy and used some Mrs Dash. Some garlic, parsley and basil would work nicely).
1. Throw everything together in a bowl.
2. Mix it up. You'll probably have to get your hands in there to do it. I've heard that stand mixers can do this type of job, but alas, I don't have a stand mixer... yet.
3. Form it into patties. I do some slightly bigger and some smaller, since my kids may or may not eat them. About 8 patties is a good amount and easy to divide, since you just split it in half over and over again.
4. Throw it on the grill. I have a double sided indoor grill - my most used small appliance. If you don't have one, you could also do these in a frying pan, a broiler pan in the oven or on the barbeque.
5. Put it on a whole grain bun with your choice of toppings and a side of veggies or a salad.
Nutritional info (one patty): 91 calories, 1.9 grams of fat, 1.1 grams fibre, 6.7 grams of carbohydrate, 11.7 grams of protein.
Make sure you count whatever you eat it with. :)