Wednesday, July 21, 2010

A letter to myself

Dear Deb,

You're very good at giving advice to others and you even can be somewhat inspirational on this here blog. How about you get real and start looking at the whole picture. Sure, you're probably the fittest you've ever been before, but the weight is barely moving. I guarantee you could run faster, bike further and swim better if you lost more of that weight.

Let's get down to it. When it comes to the weight, it is about the food. The fitness achievements you've made are nothing to scoff at, but your dress size isn't going to go down unless you stop eating all the extra calories that you're burning off. You're doing great at maintaining your weight, but you've been doing it long enough. Let's put that ability away for now and bring it out again once you're at a weight worth maintaining.

Here's a few tips:

1. You have 2 choices: either eat 100% clean, or eat mostly clean and track everything. Those are the two things that work for you. You might even want to try both for a little while.

2. Those peanuts you buy are for trail mix when you are hiking for hours at a time, not for a regular snack. Yes, peanuts are a healthy, unprocessed food, but not when you have multiple handfuls of them.

3. A family gathering is not a valid excuse to have 4 or 5 pieces of garlic bread. If you choose to have desert, have a small piece.

4. Portion control. Need I say more?

The title of your blog is "Deb Shrinks". While it's become much more then that, you chose that title for a reason. Let's get on it.

signed,

Deb

PS: there are strawberries in the fridge.

7 comments:

  1. Hmmm, maybe I should write one of these to myself too! Lately I've been having a glass of wine or two each evening which usually leads to snacking too. This is new for me, but I've gained 2 lbs this summer since getting into this habit.

    Your idea to write yourself a letter is pretty darn smart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this letter! Matter of act, it is what it is, advice without self-condemnation. Perfect!

    That's a tricky balance to pull off--and often people don't recognize it as postive.

    They think that "positive" is basically blowing sunshine & skipping reality. Not so. You hit it right on the mark.

    Forgive my critique, please. It's just that my little counselor's heart skipped a beat with delight and I wanted to share. :D

    Atta girl! I should talk to myself so well.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I should do that..write letters to myself. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Letters to yourself are a great way of focusing yourself and it seems like yours is set up just to do that.

    Happened across your blog while reading some others. Glad I stopped by. If you get a chance stop by my blog and say hello.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your letters are always fun and so loaded with truth and reason. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love love love the letter to yourself. Straight to the point; no peeing on your leg and saying its rain!!

    I need to write one to myself as well...but I'm afraid I end up using too many curse words!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't been losing, almost started to gain, before I caught myself. I need a letter like this, too.

    ReplyDelete