Friday, December 3, 2010

Making choices - things you like to do

Since it's the season, everyone is baking. I have to admit that in past years, baking has always been something I felt I had to do. For one thing, it's Christmas. For another, I enjoy it and I'm good at it. Given those facts, isn't it something I should do?

However, if I start thinking about it, there are a lot of things I would like to do. I would like to go skiing and rock climbing, hang gliding or zip lining. I'd love to backpack or hike somewhere warm right now. I also want to sew Christmas pajamas for my family or take knitting up again. I'd like to paint parts of my house or redecorate. I'd like to go to Hawaii, China, or Europe.

I don't get to do everything I want. Sometimes it's finances that holds me back. Sometimes it's time. Sometimes it's just realism. There simply is not enough time to do everything I'm interested in. I'm starting to look at some of my less healthy habits as a choice.

Sure, I could bake cookies with my kids... or we could walk to the park. My kids will be happy with either, and so will I. One choice is the better one though. I could make a pie... or I could go for a run. I feel a heck of a lot better after a run then I do after eating a pie.

For the first time in my life, I am making the choice to do something other then the things I used to be attached to. It's not that I'm giving up baking. I'm simply choosing to do something else.

4 comments:

  1. Yay for positive changes! I like pie, but yes, I do feel better after a run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Funny how we sometimes convince ourselves that we need to do things, when really we don't. Your post will make me look at things different also. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! I couldn't make that choice, but thats mostly because I was a baker before I became a mom and its a part of me. Though DH's work loves me for it. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baking cookies is probably one of my favorite things for the holidays. But I will bring them all to work/pack them away. I have no worries that I will scarf them down.

    ReplyDelete