Monday, January 17, 2011

Swimming awesomeness

I am currently entering what I think will be one of the most productive time periods in regards to my swimming abilities. Tonight was the second class of the triathlon swim program.

Now, first of all, I feel like a total newbie. And, compared to a lot of the people there, I am. In many ways, I feel like I'm starting from the beginning. For months now, I've been swimming endless laps. The one thing that has done for me is give me the endurance to work on whatever I need to now.

And, boy, do I have a lot to work on.

I thought I was rolling my body, somewhat at least. Not really. Angie told me that I was swimming flat. My kick is not my strong point. (I knew that. I am not a big fan of kicking and usually avoid kick sets). She told me it was very tight and jerky, and I should try to envision myself kicking more like a graceful dolphin. (I think that's the wording she used.) Then I was over-rolling. Then, my over-rolling was causing me to do weird things with my arms and send them way off to the sides...

The good part is, I am getting good solid feedback on all my strengths and flaws. I'm learning drills that will help me get that body position right. I'm learning the purpose for all the drills. I'm a nerd that way, but if I understand why I'm doing something, I do it much better.

I need to practice a lot.

I think I am actually swimming slower now, since I am really focusing on technique. Having said that, for the last 4 months, I've seen hardly any improvement in my speed, so obviously I needed a different approach. I think I'm finally getting it.

Thank goodness I mustered up the guts to sign up for this swim program for triathletes. It will help me get closer to earning the right to call myself one.

1 comment:

  1. Hi. Best way to improve your swim is to get someone to video you with an underwater camera. Even from above using a cell phone is better than nothing. There is something about seeing what you are doing that makes it easier to fix.

    Practice is good, but you need to be careful you don't practice yourself into a rut, always going the same speed.

    ReplyDelete