Thursday, January 20, 2011

Way to derail me

I've got a little thing that's a huge annoyance

Yesterday I saw a dermatologist about a growth on my leg. Turns out it's just a wart. (Yeah, I know, it's not that lovely, but at least it's not cancer.) Then without any consultation, she grabs her bottle of liquid nitrogen and sprays it down.

Then she tells me how to take care of it... oh, and stay out of the pool until it's basically healed. Um, hold up! Stay out of the pool? On the week I intended to spend many sessions working on my technique? On the week when I feel like things are actually clicking and I need to solidify that? Just a casual "stay out of the pool"?

Plus, since it's turned into this big blister, I'm not sure I'll be able to wear my running tights, because of the pressure it will put on it. So, likely that also means, no outdoor running.

Arg! It's just a frickin' wart. If I'd been given a moment for consultation, I could have chosen to do this at another time, or even just wait for it to go away on it's own. Whatever happened to informed consent? I can't help thinking that (for me) the cure is worse then the "disease".

Now, despite my title, it won't totally derail me, though it has totally frustrated me.

When I first started running, I gave myself a nasty overuse injury to my knee. It forced me to stop running for about a month. That month, I conquered my fear of deep water, and started seriously swimming.

Now, I can't swim, and my running may be limited. The third option? My bike. Biking may well be my weakest sport right now, due to my inexperience. Considering that the bike portion is almost half of the triathlon (in terms of time), it would be good to change that. Sadly, it's not outdoor biking season, but I can still log some serious hours on the trainer.

Frustration only does me so much good, and rather then console myself with a bowl of ice cream, I'll burn some of that frustration off with a lot of pedaling.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you found a solution! That is pretty annoying that your doc did that without asking!! You could always run on the track! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an annoyance for sure. But, it will pass. Do what you must to see it pass as fast as can be expected and feel proud you have determined an alternative to the pool inthe interim. Very proud!

    ReplyDelete