Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Make those resolutions when you're ready

So, as a general thing, I don't exactly believe in "New Year's Resolutions".  I do believe in general resolutions and goal setting, just not specifically doing it just because the calendar says it's time.  I think everyone has different points where they become reflective and are ready to set goals.

Having said that, I often do set new goals for myself near New Years.  It's largely because my birthday is the end of December.  I find my birthday to be a time when I become reflective.  They are practically on New Years, but not quite.  As a triathlete, it often makes sense to set those goals near the New Year as well.  Mainly because it's often the time you start focused training for the next season.

Having said that, I haven't quite pinpointed some of my more specific goals for the year.  I don't know if I'll be setting resolutions* as well.  I've had my major goals decided for a while, but I know there's going to be some more specific things I want to work towards as well.  Just haven't quite figured that out.

So, the point of my post is to say: make those goals and resolutions when you're ready.  Because I have a blog, I've been feeling the pressure that I ought to spell it out right now, but I'm not there.  I'm moving forward with my pre-training plan (my actual HIM plan starts in March, but I'm making sure I'm ready to start it right now), so no worries.  I'm not being lazy.

* I consider goals to be specific objectives with a specific timeline, and resolutions to be a decision to change/create/end a habit.

5 comments:

  1. Like you, I don't make new year's resolution. I tend to make goals as required. I don't have anything against those that make resolutions. However, I have noticed that the success rate of those making resolutions and keeping them is low.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your definition of goals and resolutions, there is a difference between them. We need to be resolute in pursuing the goals we set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last year I never even got around to posting my goals (and missed most of them) :-).

    BTW, I agree with your definition of goals and resolutions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like your definitions of goals and resolutions!

    ReplyDelete