Sunday, January 29, 2012

Trusting your body to get you there

Today, I had a rough run.

It was my second run since a two week period of virtually no activity (due to sickness).  I knew it wasn't going to be fast.  I knew it likely wouldn't be easy.  I didn't expect it to be quite so hard.

In the end, I did 6 km (3.73mi) in 44:19, giving me an average pace of 7:22/km (11:52/mi).  It left me feeling wiped, like I'd worked really hard.  To think that just a couple months ago, I was doing 20+km (12.4mi) LSD runs at a much faster pace.  It feels like I've lost all my fitness.  :(

This, just a day after my first swim in almost 2 weeks.  Yesterday, I felt like I needed a break every hundred metres.  Towards the end, I did do a 500 metre steady swim, just to prove to myself that I still had some endurance.  I have some.  But, it was a heck of a lot slower then swims I did even in December.

Having said that, I have to remember that my body will come back from this.  I probably won't get back to my blazing fast (for me) speeds from the fall right away.  But, I learned how to run from nothing, less then 2 years ago.  I'm starting from a heck of a lot more then nothing right now.

And, hey, if I'm running slower, it just gives me more time to look at the scenery...




8 comments:

  1. Way to get out there and get a run in! Beautiful pictures. You sure have a nice place to run.

    It is frustrating how long it takes to build fitness and how fast it can go away. I did some reading on it a while back when I was diagnosed with athlete's heart after an abnormal ekg. I read that the heart can go back to normal after as little as 3 weeks of no exercise. Hang in there, the season is just starting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I was running with you this morning....as you know, my sunday run was WAY too fast for me. what a waste. I feel like I ran a race!!! anyway I love your pics. That scenery is worth the slow pace and a run is a run. I completely understand that sickness. I feel like I've been sick forever, it really takes its toll. I am sure you'll be faster in no time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The scenery is really nice there. Especially running up on the ridge. And down by the river. The fitness will come back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't be too hard on yourself! You got out there and got a run in..you should be proud of yourself! Your fitness will come back, don't worry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you did awesome considering that you've been sick a lot lately! it sucks how fast fitness seems to decline. this week's run felt like i was running in jello..gah. hang in there, you'll get your fitness back in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like you always tell me, it takes longer than you think to get over being sick and much longer than you would think to build (and rebuild) fitness. I think your pace looks great. Just keep going...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the scenery. Snow is something we don't get to see in Honolulu so I really like to see photos like those. I actually love to run in the cold. I get much better pace times. I've run in Alaska and thoroughly enjoyed it. I will admit though that I don't like to run below 35F. I know... I am a wimp.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pics! You've had your share of bugs & lags in training this season - but you've got time to get back on track. Maybe hold off on kissing anyone for the rest of cold & flu season though :-)

    ReplyDelete