Friday, October 8, 2010

A questionnaire

Kenz, over on All The Weigh posted a questionnaire that's making it's way around the blogosphere. I thought the questions were great and decided to answer them here as well.

1. What was your highest weight, what do you weigh right now and what is your goal weight?

My highest ever weight was at the end of my first pregnancy - 285 pounds. My highest non-pregnant weight (not counting the 6 weeks after pregnancy) was 255 pounds. I started this leg of the journey at 243.8 and I currently weight 214.2

My primary goal is to enter a healthy weight range, which for me will be 179 pounds. I plan to get down to 170 and then reassess to decide whether to lose more or stay there.

2. What is your #1 motivation for losing weight?

I want to be healthy. I want to be able to be active. I want to be able to do a marathon and an ironman without fearing my body failing. I want to live to see my grandchildren and great grandchildren. I want to be able to play with and chase my children grandchildren and great grandchildren.

3. Have you always been overweight?

No, but I always thought I was. I vividly remember a doctor's appointment when I was less then 10, and the doctor had said I was "chubby". I was fairly thin in my early teens, but then I started gaining.

4. When you want to give up what inspires you to keep going?

Truthfully, that is one of the things that is different about this time. I have never wanted to give up. Sure, there's times when I want to let myself have a donut or something, but I have always known that this is for good. If I slip, it doesn't mean I've failed. It means I pick up and carry on.

5. What is the #1 thing you look forward to when you hit your goal weight?

Well, my husband is giving me a $1000 shopping spree to buy new clothes. But, if I'm honest, I'm looking forward to having done it. To having accomplished the weight loss and being in a position of moving into weight maintenance.

6. Do you have support on your weight loss journey?

Absolutely. My husband is number 1. My friends and family have been endlessly supportive. My blogging buddies keep me going.

7. What is your favorite exercise?

Well, technically, I've sworn off exercise. If I were to pick my favourite activity though, I think running wins by a hair. Of course, once I feel more competent as a swimmer, that might edge into first place. Then again, a better bike might make me love that the most.

I'm a triathlete in training. I don't have to pick one. ;)

8. What is the most important thing you have learned on your weight loss journey?

It's not about what my body looks like. It's about what my body can do.

9. What is one thing you have given up that you miss the most?

I'd like to say I don't miss anything. That the rewards have been worth it. That is true, but if I'm honest, I miss being able to be oblivious. When I didn't have to count everything. I miss being able to eat whenever I'm hungry.

10. What is your strategy for losing weight?

I track everything I eat on sparkspeople.com. I keep my calories around the 1800 mark. This seems a bit high compared to many plans, but I am extremely active and when I stick to this, I consistently lose 1-2 pounds a week.


I found answering these questions to be a great exercise in self reflection. The answers came easily to me, which I hope means I'm focused. ;) If any of you answer the questions, let me know, as I'd love to read them as well.

3 comments:

  1. I totally miss that ignorance too! It's not a specific food that I want, but it's that food is food I'll eat 3 cinnamon rolls no big thinking. Now I analyze everything: Are the calories worth it? How hungry am it? You totally nailed that on the head. And you've made so much progress way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your husband is giving you a $1000 shopping spree... I need new clothes too!

    Have a good weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have such a sensible outlook and attitude.

    Now, go for the spree!

    ReplyDelete