Friday, October 29, 2010

Will eggs fly?

I've come to a really big decision about this Halloween. One that I didn't really think I'd ever make.

I'm not giving out candy.

It something I've given a lot of thought to, and when I finally went to the store to find some alternative to the traditional Halloween junk, I found these:

They're mini pinball games and animals.

I didn't come to this decision lightly, and I'm going to be honest. The first reason I was considering going the candy free route is selfish. I didn't want endless amounts of mini chocolate bars in my house calling my name. I'm getting better at saying no to various temptations, but for me, the first step in saying no is keeping it out of my face in the first place.

There's a bigger reason for going candy free though. Throughout this process, I've maintained that it isn't just about the calories. It's about the health. And, if I'm avoiding something for my own health, how responsible of me is it to feed it to someone else? For example, if white bread isn't good for me, it's not good for my children. As such, I no longer have white bread in my house. The only crackers are now trisquits, which are one of the better choices out there, since they have no sugar or white flour. I'm not saying the contents of my pantry are perfect, but gradually, as I've looked at foods and decided they aren't really food, I've questioned why I would feed it to my family.

I'm not saying that I'm as strict with my other people's food as I am my own. For instance, I don't expect that anyone else needs to completely avoid sugar the way I do. I hope that my children are able to learn moderation in their food choices.

Halloween, however, is no longer about moderation. The actual trick or treating, I don't mind. I actually find it a nice tradition which brings back a sense of community. Neighbours open their doors and you meet the people that live 3 doors down and you've never talked to. Children have fun dressing up in costumes. And they get candy. Lots and lots of candy.

I love traditions. I find it really hard to break any. But, the tradition of junk at every house is one that I think could change. It's too bad you can't give out apples anymore, as everything has to be individually wrapped to be considered safe.

But, lets start voting with our dollars. Go to the store and choose something that is a better choice for our children. A healthier choice. The more people that do this, the more stores will bring in for options. It will take years to make a true change, but one person at a time we can begin.

So, will my house get egged this year? I don't know.

What are you giving out this Halloween?

8 comments:

  1. Great idea, and I will follow. Off to the $1 store for mini toys and party favors... The little popper things, that you pull on New Years for kids over 10, the younger, stuff like you show... Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you all the way on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think you will get egged. If you gave out apples you might, but toys are fun too!!

    You are strong- I know I will eat too much candy at the halloween parties this weekend. I am not even denying it.

    I added you to my blog roll!!

    I am interested to see how many walk breaks I take during my longer runs. I might just want to run straight through to stay warm!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY!! I think it's a great idea - I'm sure the kids will appreciate a small toy much more than fruit bars or raisins anyway!

    Here's hoping we don't get egged....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is a great idea! I always loved getting little juice boxes or toys instead of candies. What I didn't like was the lady that gave out toothbrushes and floss.

    If you find that there is too much candy after your kids have trick-or-treated, a lot of dentists will trade it in for toys or $1 a pound of candy...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deb, 5 years from now nobody will be giving out candy and we'll be able to look back and identify you as the revolutionary leader of this change. We'll name a holiday after you, streets, and maybe even a statue. Of course the candy manufacturing mafia will be after you, but you'll be so fit they wont think of doing anything but whinning.

    Shoot, we've already bought 5 bags of candy to pass out. The idea is great though, might be able to retool for halloween yet and give the candy the shelter. Not that they shouldnt eat healthy too, but first they just have to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The kids trick-or-treating get so much candy that they'll love something non-candy in their bags and you won't have to be tempted. It's a win-win.

    ReplyDelete
  8. While we did have candy to hand out, we also had play doh for the littler ones. And I wish we hadn't gotten the candy..it's too inviting and your right; the kids don't need anymore candy! So next year I will be looking for options other than candy as well. I wonder how the peanut butter crackers things would go over?

    ReplyDelete